PinKids® Apple Shortbread Cookies
For the shortbread:
- 290g Unsalted Butter, very soft
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Salt
- 400g Plain Flour
For the filling:
- 5 PinKids® Apples
- 50g Caster Sugar
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan assisted/gas 4. Line the bottom and sides of a 23x33cm (9×13 inch) deep baking pan with parchment paper, set aside. Tip: Make sure to leave extra parchment paper folded over the sides of the tin to later help remove the cookies.
- To make the shortbread dough, using a wooden spoon or electric mixer, mix together the butter, caster sugar, egg yolks and salt in a medium sized bowl until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour and mix just until you can’t see any dry flour in the bowl.
- Take 550g of the dough and press it into the bottom of the prepared baking pan with your hands.
- Place remaining dough in the fridge until needed.
- For the filling, peel and remove the cores of the PinKids° apples, you can discard the peels (or snack on them!) and the apple cores.
- Cut the apple flesh into slices about 5mm thick and place in a bowl. Sprinkle the sugar and spices over the apple then toss to coat well.
- Spread the apple slices evenly over the prepared shortbread crust.
- Take the remaining shortbread dough from the fridge and rub the dough between your fingers to crumble it over the apple.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes. Tip: Check the colour of the crumble at about 30 minutes, if it’s browning too quickly, place a piece of tinfoil over the top to stop it from browning too much.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack for about 10-15 minutes. While it’s still warm but cool enough to touch, lift out the entire bake, using the folded over parchment paper as handles, and place on a cutting board. Use a cookie cutter to stamp out shapes, then dust cookie shapes with powdered sugar.
- Tuck in while they’re still warm, or, you can enjoy them cold.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.