Tesco Christmas Nut Roast in 5 Simple Steps
This delicious Christmas nut roast makes a perfect main dish for any vegetarian, or even as a side dish to accompany your festive feast. It goes well with cranberry sauce.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 4 leeks, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 5 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 600g mixed nuts of choice (not peanuts)
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 100g gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- 150g dried cranberries
- Salt & pepper
- Grated nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and line a small loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat then cook the leeks with thyme till soft. Add the mushrooms and sage, cook 2-3 minutes then leave to cool.
- Toast the nuts for 5-8 minutes in a dry frying pan over medium heat, then remove from heat and leave to cool. After cooling, process nuts in a blender or food processor to a course powder.
- Add ground nuts to the cooked leek mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt & pepper. Mix in the cheese, breadcrumbs & cranberries, then mix in the beaten eggs.
- Press mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until browned on top.
- Leave to cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack before turning out. Serve warm or cold.
- Mixture can be made a day ahead and chilled in the fridge until ready to bake, add on an extra 10 minutes baking time if cooking straight from the fridge.