Our recipe of the day today in honour of Ireland V Italy is Dr. Oetkers Soccer Star Cake
12 – 16
- For the cake:
- 2 x 20cm round cake tins
- 400g sugar
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsp Dr Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 380g flour
- 4 tsp Dr Oetker Baking Powder
- 400ml milk
- Green and black food colouring
- 2 x 454g packs of Dr Oetker Regal-Ice Ready to Roll Icing
- Chocolate soccer balls
- For the vanilla buttercream:
- 400g butter, at room temperature
- 600g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp Dr Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180̊C/160 C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line the cake tins.
2. For the cake, cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, until combined. Stir in the vanilla extract and enough drops of green food colouring to dye the batter green.
3. Combine the flour and the baking powder in a small bowl. Beat this, alternating with the milk, into the butter mixture.
4. Divide the batter between the cake tins and bake for 30-40 minutes until a skewer inserted the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. For the buttercream, beat the butter and icing sugar together on a low speed until combined, then beat on high speed for three minutes until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract and the cream until blended.
6. Beat in a few drops of green food colouring until the buttercream turns a bright green shade.
7. Place one of the cakes, top-side down, on your cake board and spread the top with some buttercream. Add the other cake, also top-side down, and then spread the entire cake with the rest of the buttercream.
8. Divide one pack of the Ready to Roll Icing in half. Roll one half into a 20cm circle, then use a rolling pin to transfer it over the cake; it should just cover the top of the cake, so use a small, sharp knife to trim away any of the excess.